Click on header to return to front page.

Have some whimsey on your feet

Anyone who knows me well is aware of my fondness for fairy tales. Maybe it's because I'm just a big kid, or because I'm secretly a romantic, but I definitely have a thing for revisiting old favorites like "East of the Sun, West of the Moon," a Norwegian take on Beauty and the Beast. That's why I was delighted when I stumbled upon Sur La Lune a few years ago. The site's a great resource for fairy tale connoisseurs; it features 49 annotated stories, including Grimm favorites like Cinderella, and showcases over 1,500 gorgeous illustrations. The annotations are very interesting to read because they provide a new outlook on old childhood tales. The little notes that Heidi Heiner, Sur la Lune's owner, makes range from psychoanalytic to explicative of historical background.

A few months ago, I was clicking around on her site and discovered Heiner's Zazzle page. She had the genius idea of putting some of the illustrations featured on her site on Ked sneakers (I'm not entirely sure about how she can legally do this, but I assume she knows what she's doing because she's clearly a smart lady). The result's a cute/whimsical collection of sneakers that are pretty eye-catching.

Some of my favorites with their source images below (click on the sneaker pics to see them in full):

Kay Nielsen's "Then He Carried her Home" from a series of illustrations for "The Lassie and the Grandmother"






Gustave Doré's "The Little Red Riding Hood"



Elenore Abbott's "Cinderella"




Arthur Rackham's "Old Woman in the Wood"



Would be a nice Christmas gift for your quirky sister/aunt/self, no?

Tuxedo  – (June 6, 2011 at 10:00 AM)  

your feet is amazing This is the first time that I saw that kind of feet.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Shush by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP